Saturday, April 4, 2009

Music of the soul- Devendra Banhart

I couldn't wait a full week to post about more music. There are so many artists that I love, I really think I could post one a day and have enough to talk about for years. So, next is Devendra Banhart. He is an eccentric folk singer who spent most of his childhood in Venezuela. I first heard his music on his album Cripple Crow. But he has some older recordings and a newer CD out called Smokey Rolls Down Thunder Mountain. I am really loving this rootsy/folksy style that artists are experimenting with recently. There is a definite Native American, hippie, naturalist vibe to a lot of the music I am into recently. I don't know if that's a good way to describe it. Well let's see...maybe this is better....it's the kind of music I would listen to if I were going on a spiritual vision quest to Sedona, traveling on the back of an albino elk with my barefooted, long haired children in tow and we stop at every forest we see to build fairy houses and take naps and play in the grass, and maybe encounter a gang of gypsies who we barter flower garlands and stolen gold jewelry with and when we finally make it to Sedona I realize that the whole trip has been a red-wine and opium induced dream. Yeah...it's that kind of music.

1 comment:

burnt mayonaisse. said...

Devandra is the cats pajamas! good looking, good voice, wonderful lyrics...goodness all around.